I help individuals and couples create a sense of well-being that remains steady despite the frustrating and unexpected challenges of life. Everyone’s situation is unique, so we’ll explore your particular needs and goals. We will identify the sources of genuine well-being to help develop your wisdom, compassion, and happiness. Often, negative habits of thought and automatic reaction interfere with our happiness. Old hurts, anger, self-doubt, fear—these can rob us of the satisfaction we know we are capable of feeling. By learning to deal with strong emotions, communicate better, resolve conflicts with others and make good decisions, we can improve how we handle difficult situations and develop greater emotional balance. — Dr. Susan O’Grady
Dr. Susan J. O’Grady has a general practice working with adults, couples, and teenagers. She works with a wide variety of issues and has extensive experience as a psychologist. She is a Certified Gottman Therapist with advanced training in relationship and marriage counseling and sex therapy. She has served on the Board of the Contra Costa Psychological Association for twelve years as President and, most recently, as Ethics Chair for the last five years.
Dr. Susan O’Grady also leads classes in mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) groups. Gottman Method Marriage Therapy addresses many aspects of building a healthy and intimate relationship. My approach with couples is based on over 40 years of research by Dr. John Gottman with thousands of couples.
Dr. Susan O’Grady leads classes in mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) groups and is certified in Mindfulness-based Emotional Balance. Gottman Method Marriage Therapy addresses many aspects of building a healthy and intimate relationship and is based on over 40-years of research by Dr. John Gottman with thousands of couples.
- Post-doctoral Fellow, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
- Ph.D., Palo Alto University, Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, Palo Alto
- M.A., Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, Palo Alto
- Chief Psychology Fellow, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco
- Director of Psychological Services, Andrology Center, Contra Costa Endocrine Associates
- Staff Psychotherapist, Pacific Medical Psychotherapy, San Francisco
- Staff Psychotherapist, Department of Psychiatry, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Vallejo
- President, Contra Costa Psychological Association
Certifications and Memberships
- California licensed psychologist (PSY10993)
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Member, California Psychological Association
- Ethics & Professional Relations Chair, Contra Costa Psychological Association
- Certified Gottman Method Therapist, The Gottman Relationship Institute
- Certified Mindfulness-based Intervention: Emotional Balance
- Registered Yoga Therapist, Yoga Alliance RYT-200
- International Association of Yoga Therapists