Mindfulness-Based Emotional Balance
An 8-week psychoeducational and experiential course
Discover how mindful awareness can reduce the intensity of gripping emotions.
Learn to enhance emotional balance through cultivating acceptance and compassion toward oneself and others.
Based on a synthesis of the well-documented methods of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, contemporary emotion research, and compassion practices. This psychoeducational class teaches mindfulness skills for daily life and greater emotional balance and is for people who want to understand better and manage intense emotional reactions, live in balance with conflicting needs, experience a fuller sense of satisfaction and presence in daily life.
- Use mindfulness-based strategies to cope with emotional reactivity
- Explore emotions such as fear, anger, and shame
- Cultivate kindness, forgiveness, and compassion for ourselves and others
- Learn or deepen a personal mindfulness meditation practice
The program is both experiential and educational and requires a commitment to daily practice between classes. Using mindfulness meditation as our foundation, we’ll explore ways to cultivate an attitude of self-acceptance, regardless of what feelings and thoughts arise. We’ll learn to bring mindfulness to all areas of life so that we can appreciate all that is good, befriend our difficulties, and become more tolerant of the whole range of emotional experience. People completing this and similar mindfulness-based programs often report being better able to “ride the waves” when the going gets rough.
- Eight 2-hour classes, one 4-hour retreat.
- Education on ways to increase emotional balance and decrease emotional reactivity
- Classes include meditation instruction and practice
- Discussion and questions
- At-home practice of mindfulness meditation and awareness in daily life. (20-45 minutes.)
Susan O’Grady, Ph.D. integrates cognitive approaches with mindfulness approaches. She is a credentialed Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction teacher and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy teacher and has had mindfulness and meditation training at the University of California, San Diego, Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute. Dr. O’Grady is a Certified Mindfulness-based instructor in Mindfulness and Emotional Balance.